Risk Manager, China Securities
- Standard / Permanent
In Asia Pacific, BNP Paribas is one of the best-positioned international financial institutions with an uninterrupted presence since 1860. Currently with over 18,000 employees* and a presence in 13 markets, BNP Paribas provides corporates, institutional and private investors with product and service solutions tailored to their specific needs. It offers a wide range of financial services covering corporate & institutional banking, wealth management, asset management, insurance, as well as retail banking and consumer financing through strategic partnerships.
Worldwide, BNP Paribas has a presence in 68 markets with more than 193,000 employees. It has key positions in its three main activities: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail-banking networks and financial services are covered by Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, which serves two client franchises: corporate clients and institutional investors. Asia Pacific is a key strategic region for BNP Paribas and it continues to develop its franchise in the region.
* excluding partnerships
At BNP Paribas, we passionately embrace diversity and are committed to fostering an inclusive workplace where all employees are valued, respected and can bring their authentic selves to work. We prohibit Discrimination and Harassment of any kind and our policies promote equal employment opportunity for all employees and applicants, irrespective of, but not limited to their gender, gender identity, sex, sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, colour, national origin, age, religion, social status, mental or physical disabilities, veteran status etc. As a global Bank, we truly believe that inclusion and diversity of our teams is key to our success in serving our clients and the communities we operate in.
The Risk Manager role is responsible for an effective risk management framework in China for BNP Paribas Securities (China) Limited (the “Company”) within the framework of standards laid down by the BNP Paribas (BNPP) Group globally, regionally and as defined by relevant Chinese regulatory authorities.
The Risk Manager should be able to consider and manage detailed risk topics with different RISK domains at BNP Paribas APAC level and ensure the implementation of risk management framework within the Company according to the relevant local regulations.
Thus the Risk Manager key missions are:
• Ensure a proper oversight of the CIB activities in China from a risk perspective, in order to be aware of and anticipate any risk evolution;
• Ensure a coherent, consistent and global vision of China in terms of activities, risks and challenges;
• Drive the risk anticipation and reporting activities in the company;
• Ensure high quality day-to-day management of all the market, counterparty, operational and liquidity risks of GM;
• Anticipate on events and identify emerging risks;
• Advise Global Markets in a business minded but independent way on the quality of their risk taking and management;
• Help Global Markets Management assess and adjust their risk profile in line with their objectives and constraints;
• Make the risks of GM portfolios as transparent as possible and advise GM Management in order to help them make informed decisions;
• Ensure the Bank complies with the existing regulatory requirements at all times, and anticipate on the upcoming ones;
• Contribute to setting up risk appetite limits, to participate into risk taking decisions and to provide oversight on policy and regulatory-related matters;
• Liaise and coordinate with the Business Lines, other Functions and the RISK teams.
The Risk Manager is in charge of market risk monitoring:
• Market risk analysis and closely monitoring of the relevant financial markets;
• Ensure the compliance of covered business lines with their allocated market risk limits;
• Regular analysis of positions, proper identification and monitoring of the risks borne by the trading books;
• Analyse and measure any market risks, with all types of tools, like VaR, or stress testing and report the main findings through the appropriate channels of communications;
• Stress Testing:
1. Develop, compute and analyze market and liquidity stress-test scenarios;
2. Regularly review and update stress testing scenarios;
• Participate in the definition and assessment of the risk management framework for new trades/products/activities through contribution and/or attendance to decision-making process, in particular ETs, TACs, and NACs.
The Risk Manager is also responsible for the permanent control framework for the RISK department:
• Implement operational permanent control policies and procedures in day-to-day business activities;
• Ensure the risk department complies with regulatory requirements and internal guidelines;
• Report all incidents according to the Incident Management System;
• Ensure audit recommendations are resolved within the specific timeline;
• Act as a local correspondent for transversal themes, such as Information and Communication Technology (ICT) risk management, personal data protection, anti-fraud and third party risk management.
• Prepare the bi-yearly China Securities Internal Control Committee (ICC).
• A robust understanding of the Chinese Securities & Futures industry;
• In-depth knowledge in regards to the management and monitoring of different types of risk: market, credit, counterparty, liquidity and operational risks
• Strong knowledge of valuation and pricing of instruments; creation and/or development of improved diversified and complete risk metrics, methodologies, framework, processes and systems based on in-depth knowledge and experience;
• Knowledge of financial markets (settlement rules and regulations) and how financial instruments are valued;
• Good communicator (oral and written) especially of technical issues to non-specialist;
• Excellent presentation skills;
• Creative problem solving skills, good decision making based on quantitative and qualitative analysis;
• Language skills: Fluent Mandarin & English (oral and written skills);
• PRC National is preferred.
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
• Commitment – Committed to achieving the organisation’s objectives. Demonstrates perseverance and is accountable for own actions.
• Communication – Clearly conveys information and ideas to individuals or groups. Adjusts behaviour to accommodate tasks, situations and individuals.
• Decision Making – Is able to identify and understand problems and issues, commits to actions and involves others.
• Presentation skills – Presents ideas effectively to individuals or groups. Delivers presentations suited to the characteristics and needs of the audience.
• Risk awareness – Adheres to the organisation’s processes and procedures. Demonstrates a good understanding of compliance issues and implements work practices that minimise operational and reputational risk.
• Team Orientation – Works with the team and the broader organisation towards shared goals and treats all colleagues and clients as partners.
• Technical/professional knowledge – Demonstrates a satisfactory level of technical and professional skills/knowledge in job related areas, including competencies around Global Market risks / modelling. Keeps abreast of current developments and trends in area of expertise.
Specific Qualifications (if required)
• Experience in Equity or Credit markets is a plus
• Solid computational skills required (R/Python, Excel, Access, VBA)
• The candidate should have a solid quantitative background with ideally a previous experience in a quantitative environment through a technical role (e.g. through market risk, counterparty risk).
• Excellent knowledge of derivatives, ideally across multiple asset classes.
• Ability to react quickly but precisely in high pressure trading situations with Front Office interactions.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal) to further build the business / risk relationship and to clearly and concisely report the risk in a jargon-free way.
• Local securities practitioner qualification is a must